Saturday, April 19, 2008

The desired results were to make my students "feel" history. I wanted them to understand the concept of having someone else be in complete control of their spatial placement as well as their partnerships and personal property. I also wanted to expand this empathy to pages of history books, newspaper and documentary clips all across their lives. In addition, the effects of the scramble for Africa are lasting and still causing strife, civil war and countless atrocities even today. Explaining this helps students become aware of action and consequence, and open up the potential for countless dialogues and discussions, from personal to global and historical to present and future. I think sometimes we teach history in a very sterile and desensitized manner and students cannot be empathetic to what has happened. I always made clear to them that losing candy is nowhere near the same as losing ones life or liberty, but one lesson can be used to set up countless others in reference and application.


Using the same learning experience, what were your desired results? Why did you choose these results.

No comments: